Revision as of 15:38, 11 July 2011 by
- 1 What distro is the shell server running?
- 2 Requesting questions
- 2.1 How do I request a shell?
- 2.2 How do I get an invite?
- 2.3 I have a shell, now how do I create an invite?
- 2.4 How long does it take for my request to be approved (or rejected)?
- 2.5 My shell request was approved, now what do I do?
- 2.6 What is an SSH client?
- 2.7 Will my account expire?
- 2.8 My account has been suspended, what did I do and can it be undone?
- 3 Services questions
- 3.1 Am I allowed to run PsyBNC/znc/shroudbnc/Eggdrop/...
- 3.2 I'm running <random server X> what ports am I allowed to use?
- 3.3 There is a package not installed, can you install it?
- 3.4 I deleted a file I still need. Help!
- 3.5 I need help with my website
- 3.6 How do I request an SVN repository / MySQL database?
- 3.7 Can I run a game server even though it's explicitly prohibited in the rules?
- 4 VPS questions
- 5 My question isn't listed. What now?
What distro is the shell server running?
- Insomnia 24/7 runs on Debian stable (6.0.2 squeeze, at the time of writing)
- rootedker.nl runs on CentOS 5
How do I request a shell?
- You go here and fill out the form.
- You MUST have an invite code to request a shell on this server.
- Or the rootedkernel homepage. Shell requests are currently only enabled on Sundays.
How do I get an invite?
- There are two ways you can get an invite. The first, and easiest way is to know someone who already has a shell with Insomnia 24/7, they can generate an invite for you.
- Alternatively, you may inquire on our IRC and talk to the staff. If you have a good reason for why you want a shell, they can generate an invite for you.
I have a shell, now how do I create an invite?
- You can create an invite from the commandline by running the send-invite command followed by the new user's e-mail address.
- Read the rules regarding invites here: Rules.
How long does it take for my request to be approved (or rejected)?
- It varies, depending on whether or not one of our staff is currently logged in, between a few seconds and a few hours.
- As a rule of thumb we always try to process your request within 24 hours.
My shell request was approved, now what do I do?
- You can log in by directing your ssh client to insomnia247.nl
- Alternatively if you have an account on rootedker.nl you can direct your ssh session there.
What is an SSH client?
- You should be asking yourself if you really need a shell if you need to ask this, but I digress.
- On windows you can use PuTTY
Will my account expire?
- Short answer: No.
- Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, at least not as long as we continue to host shells.
My account has been suspended, what did I do and can it be undone?
- Feel free to drop by on IRC to explain the situation. Please do keep it civil.
- If a misunderstanding led to your suspension the staff may re-evaluate it.
- Any decision made by the staff is completely at their discretion.
Am I allowed to run PsyBNC/znc/shroudbnc/Eggdrop/...
- You are allowed to run a wide variety of software, though wanting to run a bot or a bouncer alone isn't considered a valid reason to receive a shell. If this is what you want to do, you can visit one of the big free shell hosts. If you have doubts about a specific software package please ask us about it on IRC. Any sort of game server and mail transfer agents are disallowed by default.
- We ask you to download all sources at the official websites to avoid any back-doored source. If your processes are back-doored your account can be suspended without notice.
I'm running <random server X> what ports am I allowed to use?
- Ports 5000-5500 are forwarded to the shell server. You can use the 'port' command to see what ports are available to you.
- For more information on ports, go here.
There is a package not installed, can you install it?
- Usually it will not be a problem to install packages that are available in the debian/centos stable repository.
- Drop by on IRC if you have a request.
I deleted a file I still need. Help!
- insomnia247.nl runs a automated backups of all home directories at 5:40am (local time), each Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- rootedker.nl does not.
- For more information about backups go here.
I need help with my website
- Please visit our dedicated page for this Shells_websites
How do I request an SVN repository / MySQL database?
- Go to Insomnia 24/7 Usermin or Rootedker.nl Usermin and log in with your username and password.
- You will find a form to request these additional resources under Applications -> Custom commands.
Can I run a game server even though it's explicitly prohibited in the rules?
- No chance, you unreasonable dicks. It's a small shell host and it's resources are finite. Game servers are not allowed. Ever.
VPS is only available on Insomnia 24/7.
How do I request a VPS?
- A VPS is not something we give out just like that. You need to talk to us in our IRC and have a solid case for why you need it and exactly what you intend to do with it.
What advantages will a VPS give me?
- A VPS will give you upto 4 cores at 2.66 GHz, 8Gb of RAM, 500Gb of disk space, and root access to the machine, with an OS of your choice.
- Obviously the resources you receive will be proportional to your needs.
- Besides better hardware, a VPS setup can also be prebuilt with Wordpress, Mediawiki, Drupal, Acquia Drupal, SugarCRM or Joomla.
Why does my VPS not have a WAN IP?
- Because I don't have any.
My question isn't listed. What now?
- Your best bet is to drop by our IRC (irc.insomnia247.nl in #shells)
- Alternatively, you can email us (firstname.lastname@example.org is probably your contact address)
- For questions in regard to rootedker.nl please use email@example.com